The original pre-tiki location of Tropical Hut opened in 1941 on Fifty-Seventh Street near Kenwood Avenue (1320-24 1/2 E. 57th St.).
Urban renewal pushed the original restaurant out in 1966 and it moved into this pagoda-like building at Ninety-Second Street and Stony Island Avenue (9156 S. Stony Island Ave.). This second location lasted into the early '90s. The last incarnation of this second location was as Nipsey's, a southern food restaurant, which burned down on March 2nd, 2022.
*NOTE: Exterior photo below was pre-Nipsey's era but may have been after Tropical Hut closed in the 90s. Still, it shows the roofline.