The Tropic Bowl began in 1955 at another location, across from Bilotti's Italian Village, at 309 3rd Street SW (where the Third Street Ramp is now).
The bowling alley was moved to 430 Fifth Ave. S.E., in 1963, and its lounge was dubbed "The Outrigger."
In 1978, Rochester had a huge flood, which filled the entire site with 4 feet of water. They opened 4 days later when the waters receded.
The Outrigger was eventually changed to a Country-themed bar (In Cahoots) in 1985.
Eventually, the city began a massive flood control project and this necessitated buying out the Tropic Bowl. In the end, the city paid $2 million for the Tropic Bowl, the In Cahoots lounge and the property around the businesses, plus some accrued interest. At the time, it was the largest single purchase the city made in connection with its flood control project.
The Tropic Bowl and the In Cahoots lounge closed its doors May 13, 1993. By the end of the month, the items from the alley and lounge were auctioned off, and the final ball was rolled down the lane.