Opened in 1951, Luke's was located in the Edwin A. Smith Building, in Providence, Rhode Island.
Owned by Tin Cheung Luke with his son, Henry.
During the 1960s, the Lukes converted the upstairs dining room into a Polynesian themed restaurant called the “Luau Hut”, which served tropical cocktails and exotic dishes. The Luau Hut was decorated with straw wall covering, bamboo polls, and gigantic shell light fixtures. Downstairs the decorations were modest. People ate in formica covered booths.
Popular in the 1970s, it started to decline in the 1980s and closed in the 1990s.
*Photo below shows the Luau Hut sign for sale at a Providence area antique store.